Sunday, December 18, 2005

I'm still here, and I'm still Knitting!

Sorry, I guess the holiday craziness had made me a little anti social.
This is a picture heavy post, so I'll babble for a bit while the photos load......

My 33rd birthday was last week. I wasn't planning on doing anything, but my brother said he wanted to take me out. So I invited a few other friends that live nearby, and a group of friends from high school. We just went to the bar across the street and had a few drinks. It was a really nice time. I feel so lucky that i have such good friends. i felt pretty crappy the next day though.
I think I'm getting a little old for shooters.

The weekend before, I went out for my friend Heidi's birthday. She likes to go dancing... so off we went! I haven't been out dancing in ages! i used to love it, but it took me a while to get into it. I sat in the corner with the boys for the first bit, but I did finally get up. I had a great time, but I really wish that "dancing" wasn't such an open invitation to get hit on. It was really quite annoying.

I bid on some yarn on ebay today.... I have never done that before. It's really stressful, I keep checking to see if I'm still "winning". It ends tomorrow evening, so hopefully the stress will end, and I'll have some great new yarn on the way. I have an idea for a diaper bag for my friend Tracey... so I want to get started on it over the holidays!

Anyway, on with the knitting news.
I've been working on Christmas presents:
This is the lace scarf I started after the needlework show. The yarn and pattern are from Headwater Wools. It was my first attempt at lace knitting. I love the way it looks, but I found it more difficult to do than cables, because I couldn't get a handle on the pattern (I had to keep counting and following the chart), I could never visualize where I was, like I can with most patterns. Maybe that's the way it works, or maybe it will just take some more practice!
The pointy spots on the side are from where I pinned it while blocking it. I'm assuming (hoping!) they'll go away with some wear.




This is another scarf I whipped up the other day, because I realized I had knit something for my sister, dad and brother, but not for my mom- Oops! It's Patina yarn from The Cat's Meow.
I found the yarn at Zellers, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I think I really like it, I'm not sure I want to give it away! I think I'll give it to my sister though, and give the lace one to my mom.









This is a pic of Griffen wearing her "skull" cap. I am so pleased with how it turned out! We saw similar ones at the One of a Kind Craft Show last month, but she was selling them for $50! Can you believe it, for an infant hat!? They were made out of merino, while mine is made of acrylic, but it was pretty scratchy, and I would never want to put it on a baby's head.

This is another scarf that only took me a couple of hours. I knit it for a friend at work who makes fun of the fact that I knit so much! It's a Lion's Brand ribbon yarn, done with really big needles, so I had to keep an eye on my stitches, because picking up dropped ones was close to impossible!


Remember the knit pig? He looks a little like a deflated pig here.....


Here is is completed, I love his face, I think he has a lot of character!


And here's a little "spherey" (from Jess Hutchison's book) I whipped up this weekend for Tony and Alesya's baby Sophia, whom I met for the first time today. I like how the doll looks, but I don't like the colours very much. I think I should have done her legs in a brighter colour, rather than a pastel.



Today.... I am working on a hat for me. It's in some Manos that I picked up like a year ago, and have tried to knit a simple hat in twice before, but always messed something up.... hopefully third time is a charm!