Monday, March 07, 2005

Felting

As I mentioned before, I got the book "Felted Knits" by Beverly Galeskas for Christmas, and have tried a few projects. My first attempt was a hat. I used Patons Classic Merino, and didn't check the gauge at all. It really should be a thicker yarn. I have a little head, but it's still a little small for me, so it slides up on my head. It was really neat to do. I did it by hand, on the stove, so got to see it "all of a sudden" felt up.


before & after

Then I tried a few more projects. I knit up some baby booties in Patons Classic, and a small bag in Naturally Colourworks. I first tried to felt the bag. After over an hour of "kneading" it, and some burnt finger tips, all I had was a bag in a different colour. It was really frustrating. Although, now that I look at the label again, I see it's "machine washable". Likely a good hint that it's not going to felt well (or at all!).
I still haven't felted the booties.

before & during

So what next? A friend at work has put an order in for a hat, so I'll do one for her. It didn't take long to knit up at all. But this time I'll make sure I get the correct yarn!