Thursday, May 18, 2006

Miss Me?

Hi! I'm still here!
It's been a crazy crazy week, and this morning I woke up feeling completely shattered. So, it is 4:00 in the afternoon, and I am sitting on the couch in my pj's. Thanks labour laws for sick days.

I headed to Ottawa for the weekend to visit some friends and family. I always try to pack too much in when I go out of town, so I didn't really have any down time when I was there.

On Sunday I drove my Aunt from California back to Toronto, and we went to my parents for dinner. Sunday was mother's day. I'm not so great at remembering those things. Oops.

My brother was there too, so we decided to make butter tarts for her as a "gift". She loves butter tarts, and her mother used to make fantastic ones, but she hasn't been able to replicate them.

I used to bake quite a bit, but was never very good at it, and all my brother has likely made are brownies, so we were pretty sure we would be successful!
the recipe was my grandmother's original, pretty old fashioned. Calling for "butter the size of an egg". Yup, "the size of an egg". I think that's where the excessive amounts of wine was helpful, we didn't stress too much about it, just winged it.

I made the pastry crust, and Dave made the filling...... and you know, we didn't do too bad! The pastry was pretty good, and the filling was just a little too runny, but nobody turned down seconds!

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera, but maybe if my mom ever figures out how to use hers, I can post one.